How to Apply for Representation

Please read the following information carefully before applying for representation from the Clinic. You can download this information and our application form by following the link at the bottom of this page.  

Application Criteria

The BC Human Rights Clinic (the “Clinic”) provides free legal assistance and representation to individuals who have filed complaints with the BC Human Rights Tribunal. To qualify for assistance from the Clinic, you must:

  • Have filed a complaint which has been accepted by the BC Human Rights Tribunal;
  • Have a complaint that appears on its face to be a case of discrimination; and
  • Be unable to obtain assistance from other sources.

The Clinic may consider any of the following factors in deciding whether to accept your application for assistance:

  • Your income;
  • Diminished capacity or any other physical, mental, or socio-economic limitations affecting your ability to represent yourself;
  • Whether you have applied for assistance in a timely manner (within 30 days of notice from the Tribunal that your complaint has been accepted); and
  • The availability of the Clinic’s resources to provide services to you.

Making your Application

Please read this information carefully when making your application for representation from the Clinic.  Any misrepresentation or inaccurate information provided on your application may disqualify you from receiving assistance from the Clinic.

To apply for free legal representation from the Clinic, please complete and return the two attached documents, along with all requested information:

  1. the Application for Representation form; and
  2. the Documents Checklist.  

Our intake committee will take approximately 2 – 4 weeks to assess your application and make a decision on whether we can assist you. Until you receive confirmation of assistance from the Clinic, you will remain responsible for all steps in your complaint and meeting any deadlines set by the Tribunal.

Follow this link to download our application forms and information. Alternatively you can contact the Case Manager on (604) 673 3128 to request paper copies.