The BC Human Rights Code protects us from discrimination in areas such as employment, housing, and services and facilities customarily available to the public. More information that will help you understand human rights in BC is available by following the link to the fact sheets listed below:
- Human Rights in British Columbia: What you need to know
- Human Rights in British Columbia: Discrimination against people with physical and mental disabilities
- Human Rights in British Columbia: Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment
- Human Rights in British Columbia: Discrimination based on Sexual Orientation
- Human Rights in British Columbia: Racial Discrimination
- Human Rights in British Columbia: Age Discrimination
Security and You: Know Your Rights. A wallet-sized rights card, a brochure and a supplementary website – www.securityandyou.ca explain what guards can and cannot do, what the public’s rights are when interacting with guards and how to make a complaint against a guard. Cards and brochures can be ordered by contacting the BC Human Rights Clinic directly. To order you can fill out this Form and send it to us. This right's kit is one aspect of a larger project funded by the Law Foundation of B.C which includes the development of training materials based on B.C's human rights legislation for private security and working with government to ensure adequate accountability mechanisms within the industry.
- Responding to Incidents of Racism and Hate a comprehensive manual for professional service providers allowing them to access the information, skills and resources required to support victims of racism and to respond to issues that arise in their community.
- Know Your Rights – What to do about discrimination provides useful information on identifying human rights discrimination and provides a walk through the formal system of filing a human rights complaint.
- Developing Human Rights Workplace Policy and Procedures this is a four-page summary document outlining objectives, goals and steps in developing preventative workplace policies and procedures. A separate two-page checklist is included for a quick review.